Child Rehab and Development
Using the EI® app, children in the communities are screened for delayed development at any location, including Primary Health Centres, Village Sub-Centres, Anganwadi Centres (Integrated Child Development Scheme), Pre-Schools, schools or directly in their homes.
Screening occurs with use of the Trivandrum Development Screening Chart and Washington Group / UNICEF Child Functioning Module within the EI(R) app. All children screened positive are flagged in the EI app for further follow-up by the implementation teams.
Child Rehab and Development Services
Comprehensive Assessments are performed at baseline and repeated periodically (usually every 6 months) using the EI(R) app and include:
- General Assessment by Community Rehabilitation Workers following the International Classification of Function and Disability Model.
- Environmental Assessment (looking at home and community factors).
- Physiotherapy Assessment, GMFM (Gross Motor Function Measure) for children with motor impairment.
- Speech and Language Assessment evaluation tool for children with communication impairment.
- Special Education Assessment and FACP (Functional Assessment Checklist for Programming) for children with cognitive impairment.
- WEE-FIM (Pediatric Functional Independence Measure) for all children.
Goals and Therapy Planning:
- Families identify and set goals for therapy using the COPM (Canadian Occupational Performance Measure).
- Rehabilitation Specialists work with families to identify child strengths, impairments and goals and create an individualized Early Intervention plan for each child for a set period (typically 6 month period)
Delivery of Services:
- Service delivery varies depending on the process flow and set-up of each organization
- Service delivery models include community / home based, centre based, school based, mobile clinics, tele-rehab or a combination of these
- Referral to Medical or Surgical Specialists through camps occur to support medical needs of children
- Provision of Assistive Devices and Technology (wheelchairs, walkers, postural devices, hearing aids, communication aids, etc.) through assessment and delivery camps are also organized
- Formation of Early Intervention parent groups.
- Monthly parent small-group meetings and parent large-group meetings every 6 months.
- Parent social media groups for peer connection and mentorship.
School Enrollment and Inclusion
- Enabling Inclusion(R) programs
See our publication below which highlights how the Enabling Inclusion(R) program and app improved rehab worker job satisfaction, child development, program engagement and school enrollment.
Krishna D, Mutthukarrupan S, Bharathwaj A, Ponnusamy R, Srinivasan, S, et al. Rapid-cycle evaluation in an early intervention program for children in South India: optimizing service providers’ quality of work-life, family program engagement and school enrollment. Frontiers in Public Health. (2020).